Living in the spotlight must be difficult for any celebrity. Winding down is an absolute must to relieve stress and many celebrities choose a football team to follow during downtime.
Over the years, we’ve heard tales of various famous football fans: Barack Obama is a West Ham United fan, Hugh Jackman follows Norwich City and Tom Hanks is an Aston Villa supporter.
Celebrity Football Fans:
Football isn’t for everyone of course but there are hundreds, if not thousands, of famous soccer fans around the world – each offering different levels of support.
Here, we tackle some of the unlikeliest celebrity football fans, the most well-known famous soccer supporters and tackle celebrity fans by football club in our celebrities football teams guide.
So what are you waiting for? Get stuck into our celebrity football fans list below to find our your club’s most famous football supporter!
Celebrities Football Teams
Football is the most popular sport in the planet, with fans from all four corners of the globe following football tips for today and results each week.
And the glamour of football as a spectacle doesn’t stop at Hollywood or even royalty – here are some of the biggest famous football fans by club:
- Arsenal – Mick Jagger
- Aston Villa – Prince William, The Duke Of Cambridge
- Brighton & Hove Albion – Fatboy Slim
- Burnley – Snoop Dogg
- Chelsea – Will Ferrell
- Crystal Palace – Liam Neeson
- Everton – Sylvester Stallone
- Fulham – Margot Robbie
- Leeds United – Russell Crowe
- Leicester City – Gary Lineker
- Liverpool – Brad Pitt
- Manchester City – Liam & Noel Gallagher
- Manchester United – Usain Bolt
- Newcastle United – Ant & Dec
- Sheffield United – Jessica Ennis-Hill
- Southampton – Craig David
- Tottenham Hotspur – Adele
- West Bromwich Albion – Julie Walters
- West Ham United – James Corden
- Wolverhampton Wanderers – Robert Plant
Here, we take a look at some of the most popular clubs for celebrity football fans. Find the famous soccer fans for your club below!
Famous Arsenal Fans
Piers Morgan – One of the most vocal celebrity Arsenal fans, Morgan is a regular visitor to the Emirates Stadium and he makes his football views clear on social media.
Prince Harry – According to brother Prince William, Prince Harry follows Arsenal but we all know rugby is his main passion. Still, he is one of the most famous Arsenal fans.
Idris Elba – Elba once claimed that he would be ‘physically sick’ if Tottenham ever won the Premier League title. This quote alone gives him cult hero status at the Emirates for life.
Jay-Z – The rapper has visited the Emirates Stadium on multiple occasions over the years, with his love for Arsenal growing through his friendship with Thierry Henry.
Matt Damon – While not quite as drastically as Idris Elba, Damon also revealed his dislike for Tottenham back in 2008 and he is recognised as one of the top famous Arsenal fans.
Famous Liverpool Fans
Daniel Craig – On the screen, Craig is 007 but off it he is an avid Liverpool supporter. James Bond has been to Anfield on a number of occasions and he ranks as one of the top celebrity football fans.
Nelson Mandela – Mandela was a lifelong Liverpool fan until his tragic passing in 2013, confirming this to John Barnes when the Reds toured South Africa in 1994.
Millie Bobby Brown – You’ll see Stranger Things on this list than Brown. ‘Eleven’ supports Liverpool through her older brother and airs her celebrity Liverpool fans views on social media.
Gary Barlow – A devoted Red, Barlow had pushed to play a concert at Anfield for years but finally got his wish in 2019. You won’t see many famous Liverpool fans do that…
Samuel L. Jackson – The American actor fell in love with Liverpool back in 2001 and he is one of the most vocal and passionate celebrity Liverpool supporters on social media.
Famous Chelsea Fans
Lord Richard Attenborough – A huge Chelsea fan until his sad passing in 2014, Attenborough was passionate about the Blues and he was a regular at Stamford Bridge before falling ill.
Tim Lovejoy – The former Soccer AM presenter is a lifelong celebrity Chelsea fan and he can be seen at Stamford Bridge on a regular basis.
Nigella Lawson – One of the most famous chefs in the world, Lawson is a huge Chelsea fan and she is a frequent visitor to Stamford Bridge throughout the football season.
Sir Steve Redgrave – An Olympics legend, Redgrave is one of the most high profile famous Chelsea sports fans and he has even helped out with the FA Cup draw in the past.
Bill Clinton – Rumours claim that Clinton would often watch Chelsea play during his time at Oxford in the 1960s. While he isn’t a hardcore supporter, he is one of the most famous Chelsea fans on name alone.
Famous Tottenham Fans
Lord Alan Sugar – The former Tottenham chairman posts regularly after his beloved club and, while he cannot compete with Adele, he is worthy of a place on any celebrity Spurs fans list.
Michael McIntyre – McIntyre has been pictured watching Tottenham matches and hanging out with players. He attends matches regularly and is one of the most passionate famous Spurs fans.
Zac Efron – Efron declared his love for Tottenham in 2019 after attending a Spurs game as Dele Alli’s guest. Whether the Hollywood A-Lister watches Tottenham each week is up for debate…
Phil Collins – Collins used to make a regular appearance in the official club programme back in the 1980s as a celebrity Tottenham fan contributor. You don’t get much bigger than that.
JK Rowling – The Harry Potter author is a Tottenham celebrity fan though she tends to keep her football views out of the public eye – hopefully we will see Rowling at a Spurs game soon.
Famous Newcastle United Fans
1. Ant & Dec – Often seen at Newcastle matches, the presenting duo were heartbroken when the Magpies lost the League Cup final to Manchester United in 2023.
2. Matt Hancock – We can’t imagine many Newcastle fans are happy with this association. The former Health Secretary claims he went to St James’ Park as a kid.
3. Cameron Norrie – Despite being born in South Africa, Cameron Norrie is reportedly a Magpies fan. He attended a home match in 2021-22.
4. James Bay – A love for Alan Shearer led James Bay to supporting Newcastle, even though he was born in Hertfordshire.
5. Sam Fender – The ‘Seventeen Going Under’ singer hasn’t been shy about his love of Newcastle United. He famously made a hungover appearance on BBC Breakfast after Mike Ashley sold the club.
Famous Manchester United Fans
1. Usain Bolt – Very public about his support of Manchester United, Usain Bolt recently thanked Erik ten Hag for turning the club around, and was a guest of honour at the club after winning three gold medals at the London Olympics.
2. Megan Fox – The Transformers actress was spotted in a Javier Hernandez Manchester United jersey in 2012. She has been rumoured as a fan of the club ever since.
3. Steve Coogan – A Manchester-born comedy legend, Coogan described himself as a ‘weekend Manchester United fan’.
4. Stormzy – Involved in the infamous video to announce Paul Pogba’s return to the club, the rapper also partnered with the club on the #MERKYFC campaign in 2022.
5. Rory McIlroy – McIlroy is a big Manchester United fan and is regularly seen at Old Trafford when his time allows.
Famous Manchester City Fans
1. Gallagher Brothers – They might not get on, but Liam and Noel still share their undying of Manchester City. The Oasis icons are often spotted at the Etihad. Fittingly, the players broke out in a rendition of ‘Wonderwall’ after winning the 2018-19 Premier League title.
2. Martin Lewis – City don’t need any help from the money-saving expert. Lewis has been vocal about his support of the club on social media.
3. Ricky Hatton – A massive City fan, Hatton has used the club anthem ‘Blue Moon’ as his walkout music.
4. Jason Manford – Manchester-born comic Manford frequently shares his thoughts on City’s performances on Twitter.
5. Jackie Chan – After meeting the squad during a preseason tour in the early 2010s, Chan committed to supporting the club from then onwards.
Famous Everton Fans
1. Sylvester Stallone – Becoming an Everton after being invited to Goodison Park by Robert Earl, Stallone helped take ‘Creed’ to Goodison Park.
2. Jodie Comer – BAFTA winner Comer was born in Liverpool. Her dad currently works for the club as a masseuse.
3. Judi Dench – National treasure Judi Dench is a long-suffering Everton supporter, and has been an honorary patron of the club’s charity for over a decade.
4. Mary Berry – She might have never been to Goodison, but celebrity baker Berry still claims to be an Everton fan.
5. Amanda Holden – A friend of Bill Kenwright, Holden has occasionally been seen in the directors’ box at Goodison Park.
Famous West Ham Fans
1. James Corden – The London-born TV personality is a lifelong West Ham fan. Now residing in Los Angeles, he rarely has the opportunity to watch Hammers matches in person.
2. Dave Grohl – First following the Premier League during a long UK tour, the Foo Fighters and Nirvana star took a liking to West Ham.
3. Keira Knightley – Knightley has supported West Ham all her life, keeping up with their matches between filming.
4. Barack Obama – The most surprising West Ham fan, surely? Obama’s sister and family live in East London, and are huge Irons fans. The former President watched a match with them and has followed the ups and downs at the London Stadium ever since.
5. Lennox Lewis – Olympic medallist and former heavyweight champion, Lewis was born in West Ham and has supported the club throughout his life.
Celebrity Soccer Fans
As the Premier League grows, so does the attention it attracts in the United States. While ‘football’ on the other side of the Atlantic is a long way from the Beautiful Game, an increasing number of celebrities have pledged their allegiance to Premier League sides.
A Twitter mix up led to ‘Star Wars’ actor Mark Hamill declaring himself as a fan of Wolverhampton Wanderers. Tom Hanks rivals royalty for the honour of being Aston Villa’s most famous supporter.
After initially being pushed towards Manchester United, ‘Lord of the Rings’ star Elijah Wood opted to support West Ham.
Not all celebrities associate with the glitz of Sports betting favourites. Some have unusual paths to fandom. Others have a longer association with a club, such as Hugh Grant’s unbreakable loyalty to Fulham, where he is often pictured at matches home and away.
Colin Firth, Grant’s ‘Love Actually’ co-star, is a long-time Arsenal fan, and even took on the lead role in ‘Fever Pitch’.
Curiously, Jennifer Aniston followed Mila Kunis’ lead to become a Watford fan when the Hornets were in the Championship in 2013. We can’t help but wonder if Aniston kept the shirt she was given on Radio 1.
NBA megastar LeBron James purchased a stake in Liverpool back in 2011, and has often been pictured in club merchandise.
The late Kobe Bryant was a fan of Barcelona, while New York Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers switched allegiance from Liverpool to Manchester City in the mid-2010s, which must have made the last few seasons a bit awkward for the four-time NFL MVP.
Michael Jordan has an association with PSG through his Air Jordan brand. His namesake Michael B Jordan recently became a co-owner of Bournemouth, and was mobbed by fans on his arrival.
How much these world-renowned figures keep up with the latest live betting is unknown, but the majority of A-listers somehow have an association with a football club.
Best Football Fans In The World
Who are the best football fans in the world? That is the question every football fan wants to know.
While there is no definitive answer, Real Madrid are largely accepted as the football club with the most supporters though Manchester United may dispute that view.
Celtic and Liverpool fans are committed to creating a cauldron of noise at home games and plenty of European nights at Celtic Park and Anfield stick in the memory.
There is no exact answer to the question – it is all subjective. The days of football firms are limited but fans still find ways to boost atmosphere at stadiums around the country.
*Credit for the main photo belongs to Alastair Grant / AP Photo*