Leeds United have big plans on their return to the Premier League. Udinese midfielder Rodrigo De Paul is the latest high-profile named featured in Leeds United transfer news.

Reported by transfer guru Fabrizio Romano, Leeds are ‘seriously interested’ in De Paul. Udinese would be asking for around £30 million for the 26-year-old.

De Paul started 33 matches in central midfield this season. He would bring plenty of quality to Leeds’ middle third, though he is a more expensive option than other midfielders they have been linked with including their former player Ronaldo Vieira.

Leeds have already set down a marker in this window with the acquisitions of Robin Koch and Rodrigo. Adding De Paul would make it three major signings, all arriving with plenty of experience in top European leagues.

There’s ambition in Leeds’ transfer dealings so far, and De Paul would fit with that pattern. He’s an Argentine international and can do a bit of everything in midfield – he averaged 2.3 key passes and 1.8 tackles per match in Italy’s top flight last season.

Nixon Doubts Leeds Can Land Kent

Alan Nixon, who broke the news of Leeds’ interest in Ryan Kent, has claimed Rangers have warned off the Yorkshire club.

Wantaway striker Alfredo Morelos has impacted Rangers decision. The Glasgow-based club are not keen on selling both of their attacking stars.

Nixon, tweeting from his personal account, said, “Leeds. Ryan Kent deal now difficult. Rangers won’t let him go as well as Morelos. They are now aware of this.”

Kent’s desire to stay at Ibrox is an important part of this saga, too. The former Liverpool man said, “It’s a massive football club so I’ll continue to do right by Rangers.

"I can’t thank the fans enough, they’ve always been supportive of me even when I was on loan.”

With Kent not pushing for a move, and Rangers not keen on selling, Leeds face an uphill battle to sign the 23-year-old.

Bielsa Eyes Several More Deals

The Mail report Leeds are in the market for a winger and two midfielders before the transfer window shuts. It was also added that Leeds are monitoring the situation of Arsenal goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez.

Martinez starred for Arsenal in the Community Shield on Saturday, retaining his place in the first team despite the return of Bernd Leno from injury. As many as 10 clubs are interested in Martinez, whose future is uncertain.

Despite rumours to the contrary, The Telegraph’s Mike McGrath reported Martinez is nearing a new contract with the north London club.

Some believe Arsenal will listen to offers for Martinez. With Marcelo Bielsa considered to be an admirer of the goalkeeper, Leeds could be in the mix if Martinez leaves the Emirates Stadium this summer.

There haven’t been many goalkeeper links in this window so far for Leeds, making this a bit of an anomaly. The Martinez story will likely develop in the coming days.


*Credit for the main photo belongs to Kirsty Wigglesworth / AP Photo*

August 30, 2020
Body

Sam is a sports tipster, specialising in the Premier League and Champions League.

He covers most sports, including cricket and Formula One. Sam particularly enjoys those on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean – notably MLB and NBA.

Watching, writing and talking about sports betting takes up most of his time, whether that is for a day out at T20 Finals Day or a long night of basketball.

Having been writing for several years, Sam has been working with 888Sport since 2016, contributing multiple articles per week to the blog.

Sam Cox
factcheck
Off
hidemainimage
show
Hide sidebar
show
Fullwidth Page
Off
News Article
Off

The latest Leeds United transfer news doesn’t look positive for the Whites’ hopes of signing Rangers winger Ryan Kent. The Sun reported on August 30th that their bid for the former Liverpool winger ‘is in trouble’.

Steven Gerrard might have to sell star striker Alfredo Morelos this window, adding to his resistance to let Kent leave. Leeds’ bid of £10 million was rejected for the 23-year-old, and it appears Rangers are unlikely to accept an improved offer.

After Phil Hay claimed Leeds will be on the lookout for another attacking player following the signing of Rodrigo on Saturday, the Leeds hierarchy may have to look elsewhere.

If Kent is no longer an option, and Leon Bailey was previously deemed too expensive, there could be some new faces cropping up in Leeds United transfer rumours over the coming days.

Celtic Hold Talks Over Leeds Left-Back

Celtic have been in contact with Leeds about a move for left-back Barry Douglas, according to reports from The Daily Mail.

This news comes soon after rumours began that Leeds could be pursuing Joe Bryan. Signing Bryan would make it easier to let Douglas leave, and the fact talks have started makes it appear Leeds are willing to sell Douglas for the right price.

This isn’t the first talk of Douglas moving north of the border. Sky Sports noted this as a potential transfer earlier this month – Celtic could be looking to Douglas as a replacement for Boli Bolingoli-Mbombo.

With big money being spent on Rodrigo and Robin Koch, Leeds probably need to make some sales. Moving Douglas to Celtic would be one way to cut the wage bill and potentially upgrade at left-back if Marcelo Bielsa thinks they can bring in Bryan.

Hay Reveals Future Transfer Plans

Following a wild Saturday on the transfer front, The Athletic’s Phil Hay shed some light on where Leeds move next in the market.

Unfortunately for Leeds fans desperate for another announcement or two, Hay suggests it could be quieter for a short period but insists they will be looking to make more moves before the window shuts.

Tweeting from his personal account, Hay said, “Would expect Leeds to keep their powder dry for a little while now. But still want someone who fits the winger/number 10 mould (no second bid for Kent so far).

"And I wonder if Bielsa will soften on an extra centre-back. Man Utd’s Axel Tuanzebe a name that’s been mentioned.”

Tuanzebe is an interesting name to see mentioned. He’s had two stints on loan at Aston Villa and struggled to get minutes at Manchester United last season.

It would almost certainly be a loan move again if he moves to Elland Road, and he could be a very useful depth option behind Koch and Liam Cooper.


*Credit for the main photo belongs to Kirsty Wigglesworth / AP Photo*

 

August 30, 2020
Body

Sam is a sports tipster, specialising in the Premier League and Champions League.

He covers most sports, including cricket and Formula One. Sam particularly enjoys those on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean – notably MLB and NBA.

Watching, writing and talking about sports betting takes up most of his time, whether that is for a day out at T20 Finals Day or a long night of basketball.

Having been writing for several years, Sam has been working with 888Sport since 2016, contributing multiple articles per week to the blog.

Sam Cox
factcheck
Off
hidemainimage
show
Hide sidebar
show
Fullwidth Page
Off
News Article
Off